When was the last time you had breakfast for dinner? Or dinner for breakfast? Isn’t it fun when you switch meals around? It’s also so easy and quick when you’re in a mad rush on week nights but want something substantial and homemade on the table.
Every time I cooked this bowl of goodness, my sons plunged into this Bacon Fried Rice. We always have rice for any meal, breakfast to dinner. Yes, Asians are like that. Come to our homes, and we’ll welcome you with bowlfuls of rice to go with any entree.
And more importantly, there is crisp bacon on top. Nothing else gives that sense of sublime satisfaction than bacon does.
My sons love this when I make it for them. As soon as I take out the skillet and the bacon strips emit that sizzling ‘hiss’ sound while the sharp aroma entices, everyone comes into the kitchen to ask “what are you making?” It is this very robust bacon scent that rouses my sons from deep sleep if they are napping.
The crisp bacon strips are a crunchy contrast to the moist, scrambled eggs on a bed of garlic rice enhanced with silky, savory caramelized onions.
Breakfast for dinner. Or dinner for breakfast. There’s only one ingredient that will make meal switching so exciting. It’s bacon.
Dig in, folks!
Bacon is a familiar American breakfast fare. And garlic fried rice or "sinangag" (say "seeh-na-ngag") is a favorite breakfast for Filipinos. So the combination of bacon and garlic fried rice in this Bacon Fried Rice recipe was incredible. You can have this for breakfast. Or it is also one of the best ways to beat the weekday meal rush. On weeknights, nearly all of us are pressed for time to make dinner. So if you’re in a dinner dilemma this easy dish is for you.This AsianInAmericaMag recipe was inspired by a previous blog post. Serves 2 to 4.
- cooked white rice - 3 cups, must have been previously refrigerated
- American bacon - 4 to 6 slices, set aside bacon drippings to cook rice
- eggs - 2 large pieces, beaten
- onion - 1 medium-sized, sliced
- garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- frozen green peas - 3/4 cup
- soy sauce - 1 Tablespoon
- scallions or green onions - 2 stalks, chopped
- sea salt - 1 teaspoon
- freshly ground black pepper powder - 1 teaspoon
- Refrigerate cooked white rice for at least a day to use for this recipe.
- Using a large skillet, over medium high heat, place the bacon strips and cook for about 10 minutes. The bacon fat will render into the skillet and cook the strips till crisp and brown. Drain the bacon strips on paper towels. When cool enough to handle, crumble into bits and set aside for adding to rice later. Remove the excess bacon drippings from the pan, but leave a thin layer of about a tablespoon to flavor the bottom of the pan.
- In the same skillet, add the sliced onions and cook for 2 minutes till soft and translucent. Add the white parts of the scallions or green onions and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the green peas and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer this mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, lower heat and add the eggs. Scramble the eggs for 2 to 3 minutes till fully cooked. Remove from skillet to be used later when you assemble everything.
- Use the same skillet, over medium high heat, add a tablespoon of the bacon fat. When bacon fat is hot, add the garlic. Add the cooked rice and spread all around. Add the scrambled eggs and chopped bacon. Lower heat and keep stirring the rice, eggs and bacon. Season with salt, pepper and soy sauce. Top with the onions and green peas mixture sautéed earlier. Garnish with green onions. Serve piping hot.
- Cook's Comment: If preferred, you can also use cooked brown rice for this recipe.
- Hello, Friends! All the images and content here are COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. This means BY LAW you are NOT allowed to use my photos or content on your website without my permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write it in your own words and simply link back to this blog to give proper attribution. It’s the legal thing to do. Thank you. Email me at [email protected]
- Do you love bacon? What are your best bacon recipes? Join us on Sunday evening at 7pmET for our lively twitter chat to let us know! In the meantime, take a peek at our preview of recipes from the Sunday Supper Tastemakers for this week below.
- Event host: This event will be hosted by Erica of The Crumby CupcakeCampaign Manager: Shelby Law Ruttan,[email protected]
- Bacon in Appetizers
- Apple and Bacon Jam Quesadillas by Nik Snacks
- Bacon Barbecue Nachos by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Bacon Tartlets by Basic N Delicious
- Game Day Bacon & Cheddar ‘Tater Skins by Powered By BLING
- Killer Jalapeño Poppers by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp by Food Lust People Love
Bacon for Breakfast
- Avocado Toast with Coconut Bacon by Helpful Homemade
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Breakfast Bruschetta by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Maple Bacon Protein Pancakes by Amee’s Savory Dish
Bacon for Dessert
- Bacon Brownie Balls by Monica’s Table
- Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies by Desserts Required
- Boozy Bacon Cherry Crumble by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Candied Maple Bacon by A Mind Full Mom
- Chocolate Bacon Crack by Brunch-n-Bites
- Flourless Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Maple Bacon Truffles by Dessert Geek
- Spiced Apple Bacon Upside Down Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
Bacon for Dinner
- Bacon and Pumpkin Pasta by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Bacon Corn Chowder by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Fried Rice by Asian In America
- Bacon Wrapped Turkey Meatloaf by April Golightly
- Creamy Blue Cheese Pasta with Steak and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- K.C.’s Award Winning Turkey Bacon Explosion by Cooking With Carlee
- Kimchi Bacon Fried Rice by kimchi MOM
- Spaghetti alla Carbonara by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- The Pigskin Loaded Baked Potato by Sunday Supper Movement
- Triple Bypass Burgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
Bacon in Beverages
- Candied Bacon Old Fashioned by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Bloody Mary with Candied Bacon Swizzle by Our Good Life
- Pancetta with Balsamic-Brown Sugar-Pepper Glaze for Bloody Mary by La Bella Vita Cucina
Bacon for Lunch
- Bacon, Fig and Goat’s Cheese Quiche by Caroline’s Cooking
- BLT Bread Salad by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Manwich Club by Momma’s Meals
- Restaurant Style Double Bacon BLT by The Freshman Cook
- Turkey & Bacon Sliders with ‘Isn’t That Special’ Sauce by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Bacon as a Side Dish
- Bacon and Cheddar Smashed Red Potatoes by Family Around The Table
- Bacon Jam by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bacon, Beer & Jalapeno Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Easy Bacon, Beans & Greens by My Life Cookbook
- Greens with Gruyere and Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Peas with Bacon and Crispy Onions by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.