I baked this easy Apple Loaf Cake with Honey dedicated to all dessert lovers. Most Filipino meals need to end on a sweet note, especially after the the robust, varied flavors of our cuisine. This is the ideal fruit-filled treat when you’re in need of an easy cake but have no time to make the frosting. Besides, autumn here in the States is apple season. And we often have a bounty from apple-picking at nearby orchards.
Whether you’re new at baking or a pro, this is a quick cake to whip up. You can use any variety of ripe apples. Mix it all in the batter and bake in a loaf-shaped pan. In no time, you can take it out of the oven. The loaf will rise substantially and come out hefty like a pound cake.
As you get enraptured by the cinnamon-like aroma, slice it thick and pour slick syrupy honey all over the warm, freshly baked top. When I did that, the sweet honey drizzled on it permeated through the moist cake. The juicy apple slices nestled into the golden brown cake were superb. Have a slice now. You won’t believe how something so uncomplicated could be this dreamy and so comforting during these tough times.
Apple Loaf Cake with Honey
- Oven-proof Loaf Pan : 9 x 5 inches
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter or margarine
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 large whole apples, peeled, cored, sliced & seeded; use any variety; I use Fuji or red delicious apples
For crumb mixture:
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at cold temperature
- 3 Tablespoons honey, to drizzle on cake
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.Prepare a loaf pan ( 9 x 5 inches) by greasing it with baking spray. Place a piece of parchment paper that fits the bottom. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a hand or stand mixer, blend together the butter and sugar for 3 minutes till creamy. Set aside.
- Separately, in a small bowl, blend the baking soda into the lemon juice. Let the baking soda dissolve well into this liquid. Add this to the cake batter in the mixer.Mix in the eggs, one at a time. Pour the vanilla. Mix for 2 minutes to blend ingredients.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour and salt. Whisk together.Add these dry ingredients to the rest of the cake batter. Blend well for 2 minutes more.Turn off the mixer and add the sliced apples by hand. Combine well.
To make the crumb mixture:
- In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon powder, brown sugar and chilled butter. Blend ingredients well till you have a soft paste. Set aside.
To assemble and bake the cake in loaf pan:
- Pour half of the cake batter into the greased loaf pan. Fill pan only halfway through.Divide the crumb mixture into half. Spread half of crumb mixture all over the cake batter.
- Pour the rest of the cake batter over the crumb mixture. Make sure the loaf pan is 2/3 full.Spread the remaining crumb mixture evenly on top.Bake cake in the preheated oven of 375 F for 50 to 55 minutes. Insert a cake tester at the center of the cake when time is up. If the tester comes clean, then the cake is done.
To add the topping:
- Take the loaf cake out of the oven. While still warm, drizzle the top with honey. Slice and serve warm or chilled.
Notes on Nutrition: The nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.
Copyright Notice: Hello, Friends! Please DO NOT LIFT OR PLAGIARIZE my original recipe, stories, photos or videos. All the images and content on this blog are COPYRIGHT PROTECTED and owned by my media company Besa-Quirino LLC. This means BY LAW you are NOT allowed to copy, scrape, lift, frame, plagiarize or use my photos, essays, stories and recipe content on your websites, books, films, television shows, videos, without my permission. If you wish to republish this recipe or content on media outlets mentioned above, please ASK MY PERMISSION, or re-write it in your own words and link back to my blog AsianInAmericaMag.com to give proper attribution. It is the legal thing to do. Thank you. Email me at [email protected]