Chinese Noodles with Pork and Vegetables
Chinese Noodles with Pork and Vegetables is a delightful noodle dish that uses thin pork tenderloin slices, marinated in soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine, and ginger. It is stir-fried with vegetables and fresh Chinese noodles. This makes a hearty, robust entree for family meals or the Lunar New Year holidays. This is an Asian in America recipe cooked by Elizabeth Ann Quirino, and was inspired by a recipe from the Let's Cook with Nora Cookbook, New Edition. Serves 4.
Servings: 4 people
For the pork marinade:
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, fat trimmed, sliced 1-inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Shao Xing rice wine
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
For the stir-fried noodle dish:
- 8 ounces fresh Chinese noodles, pre-boiled, from Asian markets
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 whole medium-sized onion, white or yellow, chopped
- 1 cup broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon calamansi or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 whole medium-sized carrot, peeled, sliced
- ½ cup button mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup frozen green peas, thawed, drained
- 2 cups sitsaro (sugar snap peas), edges trimmed
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch, for slurry
- ¼ cup water, to mix cornstarch in
- ⅛ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 stalks scallions, chopped, for garnish
To prepare the pork and the noodles:
In a bowl, combine the pork slices with the soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine and minced ginger. Mix and cover. Marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
In a small stockpot of boiling water, blanch the fresh noodles for 1 minute. Remove from bubbling water, drain and set noodles aside.
In a large skillet or wok, over medium-high heat, add the oil.When oil is hot, saute the garlic and onions.Add the marinated pork slices. Stir-fry around the skillet. Continue cooking for 7 to 8 minutes till pork turns from pink to brown. Pour the broth, soy sauce and calamansi (or lemon) juice.Add the sugar. Blend ingredients. Add the vegetables. Add the pre-boiled noodles. Combine well. Separately, in a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with the water to make a thick slurry. Mix well till there are no more lumps.Pour this cornstarch mixture into the skillet with the noodles and pork, stirring the liquid as you're adding it. Make sure the noodles and rest of the ingredients are coated well with this slurry.After about 2 minutes, the liquid starts to boil and thicken. Stir the thick sauce to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the skillet. Lower heat to a simmer. Season with sesame oil, salt and black pepper. Garnish with scallions.Serve warm.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 80kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 887mg | Potassium: 40mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 1mg