I discovered coffee and vegetables go together. I made a crisp green salad and served it with an Asian vinaigrette infused with coffee to spike up the flavors. The process was simple. First, do the dressing and chill it in the refrigerator for the flavors to blend. Then fix the salad. Whether it is meant to be a light side dish or a large, elegant entrée this salad with its savory dressing gives the meal a lift. Dress up the greens with slim strips of smoky salmon, citrus-sweet orange segments, an assortment of greens, crisp wonton strips, crunchy nuts and any other ingredients you want to toss in. Finally, serve the sophisticated coffee-infused vinaigrette on the side or pour at the table side.
Everything we do – big or small is important. Whether we bake a cake or whip up a salad, it’s still important. That we took the time with what little time we have in a day to put together the crunchy lettuce, the succulent slices of tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, assorted vegetables and condiments – these are all indications we care for our family or for ourselves and our own well-being.
Our daily lives are measured by the things we do to make a difference. When we give happiness, bring a smile to someone’s face by a simple act of sharing then that is significant.
Preparing a meal for our family or for friends are little things that make up a larger gesture. Take the opportunity today to make someone smile. No matter what circumstances are in your life right now, make someone’s day happy. Begin with this salad. It’s a great start.
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee or freeze dried coffee
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 6 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup ginger ale
- 6 to 8 cups fresh lettuce
- 1 to 2 pieces peeled, seeded, sliced cucumbers
- 1 to 2 large pieces sliced tomatoes
- 1 cup cut in 2-inch slices blanched fresh asparagus
- 8 ounces sliced thin, strips smoked salmon
- 1 cup orange segments
- 1/2 cup pre-fried or use the leftovers from Chinese take-out cooked wonton strips
- 1/3 cup or use any nuts preferred macadamia nuts
- 2 to 3 stalks chopped; divided, use 1 Tablespoon for dressing, the rest to sprinkle on greens scallions or green onions
- Prepare the Asian vinaigrette by mixing together all ingredients in a non reactive bowl or jar: rice vinegar, maple syrup, instant coffee (or freeze dried coffee), ginger ale, sea salt, black pepper, sesame oil, vegetable oil and scallions. Cover and shake to blend. Keep refrigerated till ready to use.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together the lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, asparagus. Arrange the smoked salmon and orange segments on top. Sprinkle the wonton strips and nuts. Garnish with the rest of scallions.
- Serve the dressing as a side to the salad or pour on the greens at tableside.
- Cook's comments: fix the salad a few minutes before the meal so that vegetables are chilled and crisp. This is a forgiving recipe. Add or substitute other salad greens or condiments you prefer.
- Hello, Friends! All the images and content here are COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. This means BY LAW you are NOT allowed to use my photos or content on your website without my permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write it in your own words and simply link back to this blog to give proper attribution. It’s the legal thing to do. Thank you.
Great Reasons for Cooking with Coffee
- Add richness to your recipes with coffee! Use it as a flavor enhancer for savory sauces or in dessert to make it more special! Try this Sweet Cream Affogato from The Redhead Baker
- Coffee works great as a spice! Try adding coffee to your favorite meat marinade recipe, your simmering pot of pasta sauce, or stir some into your morning oatmeal. These Cappuccino Overnight Oats from Pies and Plotssound like a great place to start!
- Need a pick me up? Use coffee in recipes like energy bars for that little caffeine boost! Try out these Pumpkin Spice Latte Breakfast Bites from Beauty and the Beets.
- Be sure to check out the list below for all of our flavorful cooking with coffee recipes! Come join us on Twitter Sunday, September 18th at 7pmET as we chat about our love for all things coffee!
Cooking with Coffee Recipes
- Apple Crumb Coffee Cake by Dessert Geek
- Banana Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Cappuccino Overnight Oats by Pies and Plots
- Cardamom-Crumb Coffee Cake by Wholistic Woman
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake (Kaffee Kuchen) by Palatable Pastime
- Coconut & Coffee Gluten Free Scones by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coffee and Cream Cinnamon Buns by Cooking With Carlee
- Espresso-Glazed Coffee Cake by Tramplingrose
- Maple-Coffee Breakfast Sausage by Cricket’s Confections
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Breakfast Bites by Beauty and the Beets
- Whole Wheat Pecan Crumb Cake by Family Around The Table
- Best Coffee Frosting by My World Simplified
- Best Tiramisu Ever by Positively Stacey
- Bittersweet Cremeux with Coffee Caramel and Bourbon Cream by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Chip Mocha Brownies by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Coffee Nut Bark by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Coffee Vanilla Ice Cream Pie by Moore or Less Cooking
- Cold Brew Affogato by Helpful Homemade
- Dark Chocolate Espresso Torte with Strawberry Coulis by Gourmet Everyday
- Eiskaffee (German Coffee with Ice Cream) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Espresso Brownie Cupcake Sundaes by A Mind Full Mom
- Espresso Cheesecake by The Chef Next Door
- Mocha Cake with Mocha Rum Icing by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mocha Layer Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mocha Panna Cotta with Mascarpone Cream by The Crumby Cupcake
- NCR Cookies by Girl Abroad
- No Bake Mocha Cheesecake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Polish Black Cake with Whipped Mocha frosting by Hardly A Goddess
- Sweet Cream Affogato by The Redhead Baker
- Coffee and Garlic Rubbed Pork Chops by Casa de Crews
- Java Spice Rub Chops by Sunday Supper Movement
- Perk Me Up Chili by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Salmon-Mandarin Salad with Asian Vinaigrette & Coffee Dressing by Asian In America
- Sticky Coffee Chicken by Food Lust People Love
- Ultimate Coffee Rubbed Burger by Foodtastic Mom
- Dark Molasses Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Coffee Baked Beans by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
- Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
- And don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter to get great recipes delivered right to your inbox every Thursday!