I did not want to heat up my kitchen in the summer so I cooked Corn on the Cob in the Instant Pot and transformed it into Mais Con Hielo (say ‘mah-eez-kon- ye-loh’). Mais con Hielo is a classic iced corn dessert or snack which brings back childhood summer memories. My mom alternated with serving us Halo-Halo (sweet mixed fruits) one week and this corn with milk the next, for merienda snack. If you own the currently popular Instant Pot or other brands of multicookers, you can now shorten the cooking time for Corn on the Cob like I did. There is no better kitchen helper in a hot, humid kitchen than this counter top kitchen appliance. But if you don’t own a multicooker or Instant Pot, you can still make this dessert. In the recipe procedure below, I offer two ways to make the corn: In the Instant Pot or on the stove-top if you prefer.
Sweet corn is in season during summer months. For the sweetest results, it is best to cook them as soon as they are harvested, according to my late dad, Gualberto Besa, who planted and grew sweet corn in our Philippine backyard. Preparing the corn is easy. You simply remove the husks and the silks, then boil them. Once cooked, you can have the sweet corn any way you want – slathered with butter, as a side, as an ending to a meal or as a snack in between meals. Strip off the cooked corn kernels and make them into this magnificent iced cold Mais Con Hielo extravaganza, which is my favorite of all. And if you want a bit of decadence, add a slice of Leche Flan on top.
Swirl the spoon and mix quickly. The tinkling sound of the spoon against the glass will summon the family right away. A spoonful of this iced cold corn with milk dessert gives you a jarring head rush and a sublime sensation of ecstasy all at once. This is the kind of dessert that makes the summer heatwave more bearable.
Mais Con Hielo- Iced Corn Dessert - Instant Pot + Stove-top
- Instant Pot multi-cooker - 6 quart or 8 quart (to cook corn)
- Large stock pot - for cooking corn (stove-top)
- 6 ears fresh corn husks and silk threads removed, cut in half
- 1 Tablespoon salt for Instant Pot
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar for Instant Pot
- 2 cups water for Instant Pot
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups milk to fill two 8 ounce glasses
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar divided, one teaspoon for each glass
- 2 slices Leche Flan (custard with caramel) about 2-inch wide, for topping
- To cook Corn on the Cob in the Instant Pot:
- Peel off the husks and silk threads from the fresh corn. Cut them in halves to fit in the steamer basket.
- Arrange the corn, in vertical position, in a silicone or metal steamer basket, about 7-inches wide which will fit in the inside pot.
- Place the steamer basket with the corn on top of the trivet in the inside pot.
- Add the salt and sugar to the 2 cups water and blend well. Pour these 2 cups of water into the inside pot. Water should reach just above the trivet.
- Secure the lid of the Instant Pot. Check that the cooking pressure is on High and the release valve is set to Sealing.
- Select Manual and cook at High Pressure for 7 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a quick release before opening the lid of the Instant Pot. Open the lid carefully. Use tongs to take out the corn.
- Let the cooked corn cool for 10 minutes in a colander. When corn is cool, strip off the corn kernels using a sharp knife. You need about 2 cups of cooked corn kernels to fill two (8 oz. each) glasses the Mais Con Hielo dessert.
- Keep the rest of the cooked corn on the cob in resealable plastic bags refrigerated or in the freezer for later use.
- To make the Mais Con Hielo Dessert:
- Fill two tall glasses (8 ounces each) with cooked corn kernels and ice. Place at least one cup of corn kernels for each glass. Use ice cubes or crushed ice.
- Pour the milk into each glass over the corn and ice.
- Sweeten the milk and corn in each glass with a teaspoon of sugar. Stir well.
- Place a slice of leche flan on top of the corn and ice just before serving. Serve this dessert chilled.
- Recipe for Leche Flan is right here.
- To cook the Corn on the Cob stove-top:
- Remove husks and silks from corn. Prepare a large stockpot and fill it with water. Add the salt and sugar to the water. Place the ears of corn at the bottom of the stockpot. Bring to a boil and then lower to a medium. Cook the corn for about 15 minutes or till they are soft. Once cooked and the kernels are soft, drain the water. Using a sharp knife, strip off the kernels from the sweet corn. Set aside in a small bowl. Use these cooked corn kernels for the Mais Con Hielo dessert.
- Cook's comments: I used whole milk for the Mais con Hielo. You can also substitute evaporated milk, soy milk or skim milk if desired.
- Disclosure: I was not paid to mention or endorse the Instant Pot brand. The opinions expressed are my own.
- Hello, Friends! All the images and content on this blog are COPYRIGHT PROTECTED and owned by my media company Besa-Quirino LLC. This means BY LAW you are NOT allowed to copy, scrape, lift, frame, plagiarize or use my photos and recipe content I wrote, on your website,books, films, television shows or videos without my permission. If you want to republish this recipe or content on another website, video, news article,or media outlets mentioned above please ASK my permission, re-write it in your own words and simply link back to this blog to give proper attribution. It’s the legal thing to do. Thank you. Email me at [email protected]
Notes on Nutrition: The nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on the cooking methods and the brands of ingredients used.
Did you like this recipe? I have more Filipino Instant Pot recipes in my newest cookbook Instant Filipino Recipes: My Mother’s Traditional Philippine Cooking in A Multicooker Pot. Buy my cookbooks and books on Amazon.com – sold worldwide in paperback and Kindle format.
Disclosure: Instant Pot is a registered trademark of the Instant Pot Company which is not associated with this blog. I was not paid to review or endorse the brand and products used.