Coconut is found in many Philippine desserts. The macapuno, or “coconut sport” is a favorite dessert ingredient. Nowadays it is easy to find the sweet Filipino macapuno in heavy syrup, in bottled jars. The preserved macapuno comes in different forms, strips or little sweet balls.
PASTRY : Prepare pastry according to directions. Recipe is found in previous post for Ham & Cheese Empanadas.
MACAPUNO TARTS FILLING
1 and 1/2 cup sweet macapuno or coconut sport preserve (from Asian groceries, Philippine aisle)
1 tablespoon melted butter
4 egg yolks and 3 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- Roll out the pastry on a pre-floured surface. Cut out rounds using a cookie cutter, measuring about 2-3 inches in diameter.
- Fit the cut up round pastry into small muffin tins . Prick the bottom of each pastry. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.Take out of the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar together. To the melted butter, add the macapuno , lemon zest and 3 tablespoons flour. Stir well until ingredients are combined.
- Line the muffin pans with little pastry cups. Fill the cups with macapuno filling, giving room for the mixture to rise to top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. When done, remove tarts from pans and cool on the counter.